Why Use Leadership Assessments?
According to a study by the Center for Creative Leadership, 40 percent of new hires fail within the first eighteen months. The consequences are serious – and costly: recruitment and training costs alone are estimated at 1/3 of annual salary. This does not count, of course, the indirect costs of lost business, work disruption, loss of investor confidence, and damaged employee morale. Some estimates put the total cost at five times the person’s salary.
Studies have shown that the validity of the job interview is less than 50 percent. Hiring decisions are more successful when based on objective assessments and standardized processes that meet the requirement of federal employment laws. That is why it helps to involve experts in the hiring process. Like a physician examining a patient, our professionals have methodologies and experience that enable them to see below the surface to areas that are not apparent to others.
Leadership starts with the right person.
Our assessments give you the insights you need to reliably predict the fitness of a candidate so you are able to:
- Save time and money by streamlining the selection process
- Reduce the risk of mis-hires for key positions with an objective, professional assessment
- Avoid turnover and low performance due to dissatisfaction
- Uncover leadership strengths and weaknesses within your organization
- Build a strong corporate culture and leadership bench strength by ensuring that the right person is hired for each position at every level within the organization
How do Leadership Assessments work?
Unlike some other management consultants, we go beyond personality tests to assess each candidate in terms of critical work style behaviors using our proprietary written assessment process. For high-level positions, we enhance the process by adding face-to-face interviews, a carefully selected battery of standardized tests as well as open-ended behavioral measures where candidates must respond to real-life situations. This enables companies to capitalize on the 40+ years of experience of our assessment professionals and results in a thorough, highly predictive assessment.
Assessing People for Hiring and Promotion
Screenings and Assessments
In a process we call JobMatch, we identify the work style behaviors that lead to success in a particular position and use assessments to match the right person to that job. Also, we follow the initial placement with an onboarding process of feedback, guidance and support to optimize the employees first year and integration into the organization. This program is customized for each position and also tailored to the organization’s culture.
- Mini Screening – This screening is intended primarily for use with individual contributors such as production employees or clerical workers.
- Extended Screening – The Extended Screening is designed to evaluate entry-level positions such as line supervisors in a factory environment, sales representatives, or district managers.
- Mini Supervisory Assessment – The Mini Supervisory Assessment is a cost-effective means to gain a sound understanding of an individual’s work style. It is particularly useful in assessing people who must perform in a particularly unique or demanding work environment.
- Extended Management Assessment – The Extended Management Assessment is targeted primarily to meet the needs of those in upper level management positions.
- Executive Assessment – The Executive Assessment is designed for executive-level candidates or for those in key executive roles who wish to utilize this process for their own development.
Developmental Audits and Succession Planning
Sometimes companies want to assess their incumbents’ strengths and weaknesses. We call this process a “human resource audit” of an organization’s leadership talent pool. Our TalentLink programs help organizations build bench strength through a process of succession analysis and career development. TalentLink reports and programs align the evolving leadership needs of an organization with the current talents and emerging potential of their key employees.
- Manager Talent Developer – The Manager Talent Developer is a cost-effective means to gain a sound understanding of an upper level manager’s strengths and developmental needs.
- Career Link Assessment – The Career Link Assessment is designed for incumbents within a company who are looking to make a career transition or for organizations that are looking to realign some of their human capital and seek to place individuals in positions that draw upon each person’s unique skills, interests, aptitudes and work styles so that the change can be a win-win for all involved.
- Executive Talent Developer – The Executive Talent Developer is designed for executive-level employees who wish to use this assessment for their own professional development.
The cost of one mis-hire can be hundreds of thousands of dollars, but failing to invest in leadership talent can cost a company its future competitiveness. Successful companies don’t leave leadership to chance. Instead, they cultivate it by making informed hiring and promotion decisions, by assessing the strengths and weaknesses of key individuals, and by developing people to their full potential.